Thread – Panels for Eirtakon 2012

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Panels for Eirtakon 2012

Hello everybody,

We had an assortment of exciting panels in Eirtakon 2011, ranging from the guest appearances of U.S. voice actor Liam O'Brien (Gaara of Naruto fame) and U.K. anime artist DestinyBlue, to panels relating to Japanese culture, cosplaying and 'Bronies'.

I will be taking over as the panels co-ordinator for Eirtakon 2012, and I must say, it's a great honour for me to be able to work with the committee and you over the next few months in preparing for this year's convention, which we hope will be the biggest and best yet.

To start off, we are looking for (i) people to host some panels for Eirtakon 2012 and (ii) ideas for the panels.

If you have a good concept for the panel, and are interested in taking part, you can either post in this thread, PM me or e-mail me at panels@eirtakon.com.

If you have your ideas in order, you can fill in the form provided below and send it to me at the above e-mail address.

For the time being, I'm only looking for the ideas of the panel. I'll start looking for the PowerPoint presentations sometime around August. Also, ignore the part with "Extra Items required for the panel".

Ideas will be screened and I'll get back to you on it as soon as I can.

So put your thinking caps on and get creative!

See you all soon.

Carlovite

N.B. Here is the form, as promised.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Panels for Eirtakon

Name of panel:

Name of host/s:

Age rating (all ages, PG-13 or 18+):

Topics you wish to discuss:

Extra items required for your panel (projectors and pcs available in the panel rooms):

Short Blurb for the con book (150 words):

*****Important*****

- A copy of your intended panel (power point) should be forwarded to:

panels@eirtakon.com

This will be screened and you may be asked to change some aspects of your
    panel (if it conflicts with safety regulations, public decency laws, etc)

- All panels should have around 30 minutes of content and be able to hold an
    audience.

- Try to keep it original, and if not original then fun.
    Eg: GOOD idea The origin of cosplay
    BAD idea: why Naruto is the bestest anime ever and why it kicks everyone
    elses' butts.
    Last edited by TheChrisD; 11th Sep 2012 at 22:54.

Sponsorship/Panels Officer Eirtakon Committee rooose's Avatar

Do folk have to forward the entire panel on powerpoint straight away or can the idea be submitted and then the powerpoint sent on a bit closer to the con? Ideas can change and morph as time goes on.
    Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by rooose View Post
    Do folk have to forward the entire panel on powerpoint straight away or can the idea be submitted and then the powerpoint sent on a bit closer to the con? Ideas can change and morph as time goes on.
    I was busy formatting the post that I forgot to look at the form's contents. If I could only edit my first post....

For the time being, I'm only looking for the ideas of the panel. I'll start looking for the PowerPoint presentations sometime around August. Also, ignore the part of the form that asks for "Extra Items required for the panel".

Thank you for pointing that out.

Web Admin Eirtakon Committee TheChrisD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carlovite View Post
    I was busy formatting the post that I forgot to look at the form's contents. If I could only edit my first post....
    If you need something edited, give me a shout. As it is there's no way to let users edit the OP indefinitely, without allowing them to edit all posts indefinitely.
    Your friendly tame neighbourhood gaming expert and site tinkerer here, feel free to stroke me, I don't bite

Website / Twitter / Facebook / YouTube

Hi there! I'm currently a moderator on the Voice Acting Alliance (VAA) where voice actors from all across the world post their fandubs and original work, showing what they can do with their voices. I would love to host an amateur voice acting panel at Eirtakon with a friend of mine who is also a part of the VAA. I am not 100% certain that he will be attending, but even if I am hosting this panel myself, by all means, I would absolutely love to. I currently have an agent in New York after doing voice over for the past five years, so I know a thing or two about voice over. I'm not going to be one to jump into this because I feel like it. Okay, here goes.

Name of panel: How to Train Your Voice Actor

Name of host/s: Holly Hampson (myself) and Jeremiah George (possibly).

Age rating: 16+

Topics you wish to discuss: What is voice acting, what equipiment/software you need, voice acting tips, voice acting safety, auditioning for roles, examples of different types of voice over.

Extra items required for your panel (projectors and pcs available in the panel rooms): Just a projector. Own laptop can be brought for PowerPoint and video.

Short Blurb for the con book (150 words): This panel will hopefully be able to help anime/video game fans realize what voice over is really about in a friendly, yet serious manner with a few jokes here and there. It will also prove how much work actually goes into the media. With piracy becoming more and more severe, professional voice actors are beginning to slowly suffer career wise as the shows and games they work for are no longer making as much money as they should, making their jobs seem almost unnecessary. Voice over is heard every single day, even though many do not realize it. Voice over is a career for thousands in the world, so we should let them scream in peace.

"Wishes can come true. But not if you just wait for miracles.
    Miracles are things we make for ourselves. Here and now.
    "

Advisor Eirtakon Committee MarkMI6's Avatar

That sounds fantastic, Cydonia!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollins
    I believe that one defines oneself by reinvention. To not be like your parents. To not be like your friends. To be yourself. To cut yourself out of stone.

I'm glad you approve! :3

"Wishes can come true. But not if you just wait for miracles.
    Miracles are things we make for ourselves. Here and now.
    "

Right so, I guess I'll take the plunge.:

>>Name of panel:
    Building your own Giant Robot... in miniature.

>>Name of host/s:
    Dartz (I can provide my real name.... but I'd really prefer not to. Call it Paranoia)

>>Age rating:
    16's onwards. Mostly for safety.

>>Topics you wish to discuss:
    A basic introduction to model kit building and painting. From safety with tools, to undercoating and painting to construction and completion. And most importantly disaster recovery. Also, a quick guide to the Gunpla range. Just what is the difference between a First Grade and a Perfect Grade?

I'd like to run it as a workshop with attendees bringing their own model kits and I can show them a few basic tips and tricks a techniques in person, but at the same time there's probably a safety issue with some of the tools involved so I can probably just run it as a straight up panel.

Topics will bre pretty simple really. How to keep your hands safe using sharp tools. Undercoating your model, then the basics of painting. What paints and undercoats to use. How to assemble things and how to decide what to assemble and when. Don't start with perfect grades! How to properly cut pieces from a sprue, how to clean them of flash and mould lines. Varnishing models and whether you should even bother painting them at all. And how to fix things good as new if you accidentally break them.

Also, an excuse for me to buy a Perfect Grade at Nom-Con to show off.

>>Extra items required for your panel (projectors and pcs available in the panel rooms):

I'll bring my own tools and paints if it's being done as a workshop. Even if not.

>>Short Blurb for the con book:
    A basic introduction to model kit building and painting. From safety with tools, to undercoating and painting to construction and completion. And most importantly disaster recovery. Also, a quick guide to the Gunpla range. Just what is the difference between a First Grade and a Perfect Grade?
    Advice for survival at con #147: "Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve money, and never, ever, cut a deal with a man in dragon suit."

That's a great idea you got there, Dartz (BTW you don't have to provide us your real name if you don't want to).

With so many event-goers buying Gundam models in Eirtakon, it's a nice idea to have them (especially first-timers and beginners) learn a few techniques on model assembly and learn how to build them safely.

The only concern I have is the types of tools that you (and the audience) will be using in the workshop (forgive me, as I don't have any knowledge of model building :sad. In this case, I'll have to talk it over with the other committee members. Safety is our number one priority.

If they approve, set up a workshop.

If they dont, set up a panel instead. I can give you a few suggestions on this:
    1) You can perform the assembly live in front of the audience
    2) You can also make a short Powerpoint presentation, showing the steps involved (with images if you can), tips, etc.
    3) You can record yourself building the model as well, explaining the steps, etc., and we can broadcast the video in the panel room on the day.

Either way, you are included in our list of panels. It may take a few weeks to sort out the rest of the panels, but I'm hopeful that this will be one of the workshops/panels on the final list.

It'll be a nice pleasure to have you on board with us this year. :smile:
    Last edited by Carlovite; 17th Apr 2012 at 17:58. Reason: Politeness

Howdy! I've actually got two panels to put forward. One is a revised version of the "Dubs From Hell" panel that I ran last year and, at the other end of spectrum, a discussion of the life and work of Osamu Tezuka :

============================================================

Name of panel: Dubs From Hell (The Return!)

Name of host/s: Robert Gallagher

Age rating: 18+ I'd say.

Topics you wish to discuss: Terrible anime dubs through the ages.

Extra items required for your panel (projectors and pcs available in the panel rooms): Projector, sound system, I can probably bring my own laptop along.

Short Blurb for the con book (150 words): Most anime dubs these days are pretty decent, they get the job done. In the past though, anime dubs were much more interesting. For your amusement, education and terror, Rob Gallagher presents choice examples of anime dubs that, whether through accident or design, are just hilariously inept, completely nonsensical, or downright offensive. What has been heard cannot be unheard!

============================================================

Name of panel: The God Of Manga - Osamu Tezuka

Name of host/s: Robert Gallagher

Age rating: All.

Topics you wish to discuss: The life and work of Osamu Tezuka, "god of manga".

Extra items required for your panel (projectors and pcs available in the panel rooms): Projector, sound system, I can probably bring my own laptop along.

Short Blurb for the con book (150 words): The impact that Osamu Tezuka has had on the development of modern manga and anime cannot be understated. Throughout his life, Tezuka created over 700 individual manga titles, many of these were adapted into anime series that became incredibly popular, not just in Japan but around the world. Tezuka also had a huge influence on many young manga artists who would go on to create classic manga series themselves. Rob Gallagher will attempt to tackle the life's work of this towering figure of manga and anime.
    "One does not care to acknowledge.. the mistakes of one’s youth"

Thread Information